Ankylosing spondylitis is an inflammatory disease of inflammation of joints between the spine and causes spinal vertebrae fused together. The spine becomes less flexible and may cause a forward position. Symptoms might worsen over time , the spine will eventually lose mobility. Breathing difficulties may arise as well if the ribs are affected.
Cause of Ankylosing spondylitis
Ankylosing spondylitis mostly affects men. Usually begins in early adulthood . Ankylosing spondylitis is mainly due to genetic factors. As they have a particular gene (HBL27), the opportunity will be to increase in prevalence.
What are the symptoms of ankylosing spondylitis?
Early signs and symptoms of ankylosing spondylitis may include back pain and stiffness , especially in the morning. The symptoms may worsen overtime.
The most common affected area:
- Between your spine and pelvis
- Lower vertebra
- Between the tendons and ligaments
- Between sternum and rib cartilage
- Hip and shoulder
What are the risk factors for getting ankylosing spondylitis?
It occurs in 16 to 25 years old youth , especially young men.
How does physiotherapist treat with my condition?
Heat to increase blood circulation and relax the muscles of the affected area . Electrical current, Ultrasound , shock wave will help to reduce inflammation .
Exercise for Ankylosing spondylitis
- Swimming: Swimming can help build and maintain chest expansion . Swimming increase the flexibility of your spine
- Take a deep breath : Deep breathing can help you to improve and maintain your lung capacity and helps to maintain the thorax flexible.
- Yoga can help relieve pain and increase flexibility. Many people find that yoga helps reduce stress and tension and promote sleep .Supine, prone , standing and sitting training exercise can strengthen the back muscle group and help maintain or improve joint when the arthritis in acute stage. One can also use ice or hot water to improve rigid joint status ; when the pain relief, one can gradually return to sports.
Other pain can be triggered
Lung disease , uveitis , cardiovascular disease, inflammatory bowel nephritis